Views

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Science Fair 2012

Science Fair

     Hi today I am talking about the Science Fair!  The Science Fair happens once every year and I am going to blog about my Science Fair experience this year.




   My Science Fair experiment was on The Heat Capacity of Water! I know you don't know what that means, but that is why I am here. The heat capacity of water is how much electrical energy is used to heat  water in a limited source of water and power. What it really means is how much electricity is used to heat water.


  I chose this project because it was something I never did before. I thought it would be cool to try something new and harder. This project is at a 7th grade level. I did the science fair topic wizard on the Internet to find a project.


  
Materials that I used for the experiment.







  • Electric Calorimeter





























  • 6 volt battery

















  • Multimeter 

























  • thermometer








  • wire
 




  • timer
 





  • alligator clips
 





  • measuring cup
 



  • 175 milliliters of distilled water






   I had to order the thermometer and the electric calorimeter on the Internet. It took about two weeks for them to get to my house. I bought the 6 volt battery from Walmart. I used my phone for the timer. I got the wire, the multimeter, alligator clips measuring cup and the distilled water from my house.






  The easiest part for me doing my project was creating the poster board. I had the Data and results to put on my poster board. I had a graph and some pictures. I had the Question, Hypothesis, Materials, Procedure, Data, Graph and my conclusion on my poster board. 






   The hardest thing that I did in the Science Fair preparations was testing my experiment. I had to have an exact temperature and the amount of water had to be at 175 milliliters. I had to check the water about every 10 minutes for 3 hours each test. I had to check the temperature and the volts which I checked on the Multimeter. I had to test it 5 times so it would be a total of 15 hours.




  My variables were the time I checked on the water and putting salt in the water when testing. The salt really didn't changed anything. I checked back on the water at different times and after 2 hours and 44 mins nothing was changing.


  I learned that water heats up slowly and releases heat slowly. I already knew that electricity could turn into heat. I also learned that a multimeter measures different types of currents including oms which are the resistance of an object.




  I felt proud of my project and the choices I made. I could of presented it a little bit better and I could of had a log book besides that I think I did good. At the beginning I was so scared, but then later on I felt better about it and felt more confident.




  I liked that I had pictures of my experiment and I had a project that took time and didn't take like 30 minutes to complete. I could of had a log book and tested my project a few more times to put on my graph.








This is an outline of what your poster board should look like.












                     





            BYE

I used this website to find an experiment: HERE
I used this website to order the stuff I needed: HERE


                     

No comments:

Post a Comment